The news is full of the CIA torture tapes that were destroyed.
Here's in-depth coverage: "Tapes by C.I.A. Lived and Died to Save Image," by Scott Shane and Mark Mazzetti. The New York Times. December 30, 2007.
The tapes were of waterboarding. Waterboarding is illegal. The government admits that the tapes existed. It admits that it used waterboarding. The government admitted using waterboarding to a number of high ranking Republicans and Democrats, including Nancy Pelosi, who didn't voice an objection apparently. The government cannot now say that it didn't authorize waterboarding or engage in it or seek to cover the identity of those who performed it.
Glenn decries state secrets and executive privilege used to cover up illegalities. It has ever been so. It's just coming out more and more for a reason. There's meaning behind the exposure. It's separating. It's separating the wicked from the righteous. Everyone's being marked or sealed according to his or her heart.
What's in question over these tapes? What's the point in not pursuing the matter? Where's the process? Where's the rebuking? Where's the removal of the lawbreakers? Why are they being left in place? Why are they still in charge of anything?
Many people rightly believe that the reason they are still there is money. "Justice in America is Over-rated, Unless One is Wealthy," by Mona. Unqualified Offerings. December 30, 2007.
Of course, that's absolutely correct. We live in a plutocracy and we shouldn't. Rule by the rich is rule by the greedy and covetous. Covetousness is why the United States is in the Iraq War. It's the covetousness of the rich. They are to blame: Their spirit of selfishness.
We aren't advocating punishment. We are asking why the United States government is such that it can't remove bad, unrepentant shepherds.
The CIA torture tapes are just a tiny bit of the tip of the iceberg. Everything that happened since even long before this current administration was given power needs to be traced and exposed for everyone's sake. 9/11 needs a thorough airing and everything leading up to it and everything that has unfolded since. All the missing trillions of dollars need to be traced. All the classified information needs to be gone through. The whole world needs deep soul searching. We are all sinners to one degree or another. The sooner we all come to grips with it and resolve together to stop, the sooner we'll all begin living and walking the path to Heaven.
Those in charge, so to speak, of the government of the United States are pushing to obtain Total Information Awareness. What they don't seem to understand is that it already exists, and the spirit has it and always has.
The following should appear at the end of every post:
According to the IRS, "Know the law: Avoid political campaign intervention":
Tax-exempt section 501(c)(3) organizations like churches, universities, and hospitals must follow the law regarding political campaigns. Unfortunately, some don't know the law.
Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3) organizations are prohibited from participating in any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. The prohibition applies to campaigns at the federal, state and local level.
Violation of this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes. Section 501(c)(3) private foundations are subject to additional restrictions.
Political Campaign Intervention
Political campaign intervention includes any activities that favor or oppose one or more candidates for public office. The prohibition extends beyond candidate endorsements.
Contributions to political campaign funds, public statements of support or opposition (verbal or written) made by or on behalf of an organization, and the distribution of materials prepared by others that support or oppose any candidate for public office all violate the prohibition on political campaign intervention.
Factors in determining whether a communication results in political campaign intervention include the following:
- Whether the statement identifies one or more candidates for a given public office
- Whether the statement expresses approval or disapproval of one or more candidates' positions and/or actions
- Whether the statement is delivered close in time to the election
- Whether the statement makes reference to voting or an election
- Whether the issue addressed distinguishes candidates for a given office
Many religious organizations believe, as we do, that the above constitutes a violation of the First Amendment of the US Constitution.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
That said, we make the following absolutely clear here:
- The Real Liberal Christian Church and Christian Commons Project not only do not endorse any candidate for any secular office, we say that Christianity forbids voting in such elections.
- Furthermore, when we discuss any public-office holder's position, policy, action or inaction, we definitely are not encouraging anyone to vote for that office holder's position.
- We are not trying to influence secular elections but rather want people to come out from that entire fallen system.
- When we analyze or discuss what is termed "public policy," we do it entirely from a theological standpoint with an eye to educating professing Christians and those to whom we are openly always proselytizing to convert to authentic Christianity.
- It is impossible for us to fully evangelize and proselytize without directly discussing the pros and cons of public policy and the positions of secular-office holders, hence the unconstitutionality of the IRS code on the matter.
- We are not rich and wouldn't be looking for a fight regardless. What we cannot do is compromise our faith (which seeks to harm nobody, quite the contrary).
- We render unto Caesar what is Caesar's. We render unto God what is God's.
- When Caesar says to us that unless we shut up about the unrighteousness of Caesar's policies and practices, we will lose the ability of people who donate to us to declare their donations as deductions on their federal and state income-tax returns, we say to Caesar that we cannot shut up while exercising our religion in a very reasonable way.
- We consider the IRS code on this matter as deliberate economic duress (a form of coercion) and a direct attempt by the federal government to censor dissenting, free political and religious speech.
- It's not freedom of religion if they tax it.
And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute? He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers? Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free. (Matthew 17:24-26)