- 60 acres of tropical forest are felled worldwide every minute.
- Deforestation releases more carbon dioxide than all the planes, trains, trucks, and automobiles in the world.
- It is second only to fossil fuels used for electricity and heat.
- Deforestation is about 32 million acres a year.
- 50,000 square miles of tropical forest are cleared every year. That's equal to half the size of Britain.
- 1 percent of African forests are lost a year.
- Nigeria lost about 1/3 of its forest in 15 years.
Deforestation leads to desertification. It leads to increasing the rate of warming. People are cutting down forests on a huge commercial scale but also as individual families to make a living to feed their children. Why have they had so many children when the only way to feed them is via a certain form of species suicide that is cutting down the forests and thereby raising the global temperature to possible extinction levels?
The rule of existence is to fit in. Fitting in best is being least selfish. Selfishness is causing all the problems in the world. Giving and sharing is the solution. Excess for some in the face of want for others is evil and exacts a species-wide and even planet-wide price.