What is the law?
The law is, All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them. It's called the Golden Rule. What is the Golden Rule? Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Jesus came to fulfil the Golden Rule. The prophets and the law prophesied until John. They prophesied about Jesus coming to fulfill the law. The fulfillment of the law, the Golden Rule, is the kingdom of God. How do we know how all of this fits together and how we are to be? A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. (John 13:34) Therefore, the law is that we love as Jesus has loved his disciples.
What then is the secular? Does it rebel against the New Commandment, or will the people conform to truth and live as Jesus used the term "live"?
Right now, there are signs that the issue of this real law versus the secular is coming to a head. The secular will fail. There is only one right way to be: Christlike. All else rightly will be cut off and cast away.
For an example of this issue prompting ultimate decision-making, see the following article: "Defining the limits of exceptionalism." The Economist. February 14, 2008.
- Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. Matthew 5:17
- Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. Matthew 7:12
- For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. Matthew 11:13
- Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. Matthew 22:37-40
- The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it. Luke 16:16
- And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me. Luke 24:44