UPDATE: Wednesday, November 19, 2008
James Zogby says Rahm is not a dual-citizen, because Rahm was born in Chicago. He needs more than that to go on. It is my understanding that U.S. citizens are now allowed to hold dual-citizenship. I am under the further impression that there was a time that this was not so, hence my use of the term "now" above. I will attempt to find out more about these things.
According to the Wikipedia article on Rahm that has been recently updated (naturally, considering Rahm's having been offered and having accepted the position of White House Chief of Staff for the in-coming Obama administration), "Emanuel's father was an Israeli immigrant and Rahm had dual Israeli-U.S. citizenship, but relinquished his Israeli citizenship when he turned 18." If that's true, it demonstrates that dual-citizenship was at the time legal and that having been born in Chicago did not prove Rahm doesn't hold dual-citizenship. Zogby was flat wrong on that.
Rabbi Michael Lerner was half wrong when he wrote, "Emanuel, himself a citizen of Israel as well as the United States" without finding out for sure if that still pertained or at least qualifying his words or citing his source (it happens to us all though — I cut Zogby slack for it provide he prints a retraction we can't miss — same goes for Lerner).
Zogby further claims that Rahm did not serve with the IDF. This is semantical. He volunteered for a short while to do what the IDF wanted apparently. Rahm reportedly says he worked on military vehicles for a couple of weeks over in Israel. It's still revealing.
Furthermore, Zogby didn't discuss concerns about Emanuel's investment-banker past and his huge fund-raising from Wall Street.
(Source: "Rahm Emanuel and Arab Perceptions," by James Zogby. Huffington Post. November 14, 2008.)
What Zogby has done is pick two things and do a poor job of handling either. He's a person with huge resources who could have found out definitively. He ignored the other concerns about Rahm Emanuel. He ignored Rahm's hawkish votes about Iraq and other matters. He ignored Rahm's work to undermine peace candidates in the Democratic Party. He ignored Rahm's seat on the Board of Directors of the now collapsed/bailed out Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (aka Freddie Mac).
Zogby cut nobody any slack for even raising questions about Rahm Emanuel.
It appears that James Zogby is being sure not to offend the system that butters his bread.
It was the Irgun that massacred the village of Deir Yassin. Menachem Begin, who headed the Irgun that was founded by Vladimir Jabotinsky, even bragged about it in his book entitled, "The Revolt." I read about the massacre. The Irgun went door-to-door slitting the throats of everyone — men, women, and children.
Menachem Begin became the Prime Minister of Israel. Benjamin Emanuel, Rahm's father, was a member of the Irgun. Read the earlier parts of this series for more background on the controversy.
Also, Rahm Emanuel does hold dual citizenship according to Rabbi Michael Lerner.
"Rahm Emanuel is no Reason for Hope or Celebration," by Rabbi Michael Lerner. The American Muslim. November 7, 2008.
The following should appear at the end of every post:
According to the IRS, "Know the law: Avoid political campaign intervention":
Tax-exempt section 501(c)(3) organizations like churches, universities, and hospitals must follow the law regarding political campaigns. Unfortunately, some don't know the law.
Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3) organizations are prohibited from participating in any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. The prohibition applies to campaigns at the federal, state and local level.
Violation of this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes. Section 501(c)(3) private foundations are subject to additional restrictions.
Political Campaign Intervention
Political campaign intervention includes any activities that favor or oppose one or more candidates for public office. The prohibition extends beyond candidate endorsements.
Contributions to political campaign funds, public statements of support or opposition (verbal or written) made by or on behalf of an organization, and the distribution of materials prepared by others that support or oppose any candidate for public office all violate the prohibition on political campaign intervention.
Factors in determining whether a communication results in political campaign intervention include the following:
- Whether the statement identifies one or more candidates for a given public office
- Whether the statement expresses approval or disapproval of one or more candidates' positions and/or actions
- Whether the statement is delivered close in time to the election
- Whether the statement makes reference to voting or an election
- Whether the issue addressed distinguishes candidates for a given office
Many religious organizations believe, as we do, that the above constitutes a violation of the First Amendment of the US Constitution.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
That said, we make the following absolutely clear here:
- The Real Liberal Christian Church and Christian Commons Project not only do not endorse any candidate for any secular office, we say that Christianity forbids voting in such elections.
- Furthermore, when we discuss any public-office holder's position, policy, action or inaction, we definitely are not encouraging anyone to vote for that office holder's position.
- We are not trying to influence secular elections but rather want people to come out from that entire fallen system.
- When we analyze or discuss what is termed "public policy," we do it entirely from a theological standpoint with an eye to educating professing Christians and those to whom we are openly always proselytizing to convert to authentic Christianity.
- It is impossible for us to fully evangelize and proselytize without directly discussing the pros and cons of public policy and the positions of secular-office holders, hence the unconstitutionality of the IRS code on the matter.
- We are not rich and wouldn't be looking for a fight regardless. What we cannot do is compromise our faith (which seeks to harm nobody, quite the contrary).
- We render unto Caesar what is Caesar's. We render unto God what is God's.
- When Caesar says to us that unless we shut up about the unrighteousness of Caesar's policies and practices, we will lose the ability of people who donate to us to declare their donations as deductions on their federal and state income-tax returns, we say to Caesar that we cannot shut up while exercising our religion in a very reasonable way.
- We consider the IRS code on this matter as deliberate economic duress (a form of coercion) and a direct attempt by the federal government to censor dissenting, free political and religious speech.
- It's not freedom of religion if they tax it.
And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute? He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers? Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free. (Matthew 17:24-26)