Trees in the Western U.S. forests are dying at twice the rate that had been thought. Antarctica, contrary to Libertarian capitalist false-propaganda, is getting warmer. Hong Kong is now so polluted that its economy is sputtering.
I remember the economist Milton Friedman selling Hong Kong as the model for the world's economy. I couldn't believe how ignorant he was. Really, I'm being brutally honest here. I couldn't believe he had a whole documentary series being aired on U.S. Public Broadcasting. I thought at the time that no one would fall for Friedman's ignorant proselytizing for laissez-faire capitalism that I had thought everyone knew had been totally discredited. It seemed obvious to me that everyone had also gotten the word on pollution and that laissez-faire capitalism was nothing but a license to pollute on an even worse scale than had been the case right before Friedman showed up in this big way.
Wow, was I wrong about how people would fall for ignorance and just ignore the plain truth about negative environmental consequences. So, I was ignorant too in that sense. Now I understand and fully appreciate why it is that so many are called while so few are chosen.
It's amazing that there are headlines reading that cleaner air means longer, healthier lives. How can that be news? Were there really people for whom that was news in January 2009? Were there, and are there, people who didn't and don't know that air pollution causes illness and aging and earlier deaths than would otherwise occur?
What would also be infuriating if it weren't for the fact that it's so transparent is that the so-called conservatives on FOX, who are not conservatives at all but just selfish and greedy, sell their souls so they can be on cable and satellite acting. That's what they are you know. They're just paid actors. Just watch them. All they're doing is putting on an act. Their personalities are so extremely contrived. They're playing a role. While playing this role, bought and paid for by their masters the plutocrats, they use the term "common sense," as if they have any. How many times a day is "common sense" mentioned on FOX? When is it ever employed? Well, people will do anything for money. They will sit there day after day telling the American people that oil burning isn't causing Global Warming and that there is no Global Warming.
Well, the rate of increase in Global Warming has been slowed a bit by the economic recession. People just aren't burning as much gas as they were. Notice though that the rate of increase has only been slowed and that Global Warming has not been reversed. It is still increasing.
The following should appear at the end of every post:
According to the IRS, "Know the law: Avoid political campaign intervention":
Tax-exempt section 501(c)(3) organizations like churches, universities, and hospitals must follow the law regarding political campaigns. Unfortunately, some don't know the law.
Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3) organizations are prohibited from participating in any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. The prohibition applies to campaigns at the federal, state and local level.
Violation of this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes. Section 501(c)(3) private foundations are subject to additional restrictions.
Political Campaign Intervention
Political campaign intervention includes any activities that favor or oppose one or more candidates for public office. The prohibition extends beyond candidate endorsements.
Contributions to political campaign funds, public statements of support or opposition (verbal or written) made by or on behalf of an organization, and the distribution of materials prepared by others that support or oppose any candidate for public office all violate the prohibition on political campaign intervention.
Factors in determining whether a communication results in political campaign intervention include the following:
- Whether the statement identifies one or more candidates for a given public office
- Whether the statement expresses approval or disapproval of one or more candidates' positions and/or actions
- Whether the statement is delivered close in time to the election
- Whether the statement makes reference to voting or an election
- Whether the issue addressed distinguishes candidates for a given office
Many religious organizations believe, as we do, that the above constitutes a violation of the First Amendment of the US Constitution.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
That said, we make the following absolutely clear here:
- The Real Liberal Christian Church and Christian Commons Project not only do not endorse any candidate for any secular office, we say that Christianity forbids voting in such elections.
- Furthermore, when we discuss any public-office holder's position, policy, action or inaction, we definitely are not encouraging anyone to vote for that office holder's position.
- We are not trying to influence secular elections but rather want people to come out from that entire fallen system.
- When we analyze or discuss what is termed "public policy," we do it entirely from a theological standpoint with an eye to educating professing Christians and those to whom we are openly always proselytizing to convert to authentic Christianity.
- It is impossible for us to fully evangelize and proselytize without directly discussing the pros and cons of public policy and the positions of secular-office holders, hence the unconstitutionality of the IRS code on the matter.
- We are not rich and wouldn't be looking for a fight regardless. What we cannot do is compromise our faith (which seeks to harm nobody, quite the contrary).
- We render unto Caesar what is Caesar's. We render unto God what is God's.
- When Caesar says to us that unless we shut up about the unrighteousness of Caesar's policies and practices, we will lose the ability of people who donate to us to declare their donations as deductions on their federal and state income-tax returns, we say to Caesar that we cannot shut up while exercising our religion in a very reasonable way.
- We consider the IRS code on this matter as deliberate economic duress (a form of coercion) and a direct attempt by the federal government to censor dissenting, free political and religious speech.
- It's not freedom of religion if they tax it.
And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute? He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers? Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free. (Matthew 17:24-26)