COOLTRIBE AND CARBONICA CARBON-OFFSETTING TREES
Dear Tom Usher,
Welcome to Cooltribe's Free Tree Initiative. You are receiving this email because you signed up for a free tree at COOLTRIBE.COM, the social networking site with a green conscience.
Carbonica has joined forces with Cooltribe and has planted a rainforest tree on your behalf. Our goal is to plant as many trees as possible to restore the rainforests and to spread the word far and wide!
The attachment contains the PDF certificate of your planted tree and all information
related to specimen, location (area, country and GPS location), date of planting, and estimated median lifespan of the tree.
Your certificate no. is MF301550.
We thank you for your support in restoring the rainforests of Central America and the Amazon and the fight against climate change. Your contribution also helps local communities develop the expertise to live of[f] their land.
Carbonica is committed to protecting our rainforests and their wildlife, ecosystems and biodiversity. We do this in collaboration with local affiliates, who are non-profits with ample expertise in botany and ecology and are able to source, plant and look after saplings and trees efficiently. Trees are chosen on the basis of their carbon value and their compatibility with the native specimens (every batch that is planted contains a diversity of specimens): one high-carbon specimen will capture 1 tonne of CO2 over its first 30 years of life, and over 1.6 to 2.0 tonnes over a lifetime. The location and planting date may be subject to change at Carbonica's discretion if circumstances or logistics on the ground require the relocation of the programme.
Our programmes are guaranteed - What does this mean?
All trees are insured against forest fire or any form of malicious damage, so in that event trees are replaced to ensure that they capture as much CO2 from the atmosphere as possible and preserve the wealth of the rainforest.
YOUR CARBON FOOTPRINT:
You can offset your entire carbon footprint by planting trees. Please try to offset as much of it as you can. You can calculate the extent of your environmental impact with most CO2 calculators (such as the one in our website). Please also encourage others to do the same!
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED:
Please email us with your questions and feedback and we will be delighted to assist you. We always welcome feedback ([deleted]@carbonica.org) and for any after-sales questions or complaints you can write to customer service ([deleted]@carbonica.org).
We'd love to hear from you!
Thank-you and we hope to see you soon!
The Carbonica Team
London W1J 9TB
t: +44 (0)20 7499 9192
f: +44 (0)20 7499 7517
PROTECTING THE WORLD'S RAINFORESTS
Think of the environment - go paperless!
This is the Golden Rule in action.
The following should appear at the end of every post:
According to the IRS, "Know the law: Avoid political campaign intervention":
Tax-exempt section 501(c)(3) organizations like churches, universities, and hospitals must follow the law regarding political campaigns. Unfortunately, some don't know the law.
Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3) organizations are prohibited from participating in any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. The prohibition applies to campaigns at the federal, state and local level.
Violation of this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes. Section 501(c)(3) private foundations are subject to additional restrictions.
Political Campaign Intervention
Political campaign intervention includes any activities that favor or oppose one or more candidates for public office. The prohibition extends beyond candidate endorsements.
Contributions to political campaign funds, public statements of support or opposition (verbal or written) made by or on behalf of an organization, and the distribution of materials prepared by others that support or oppose any candidate for public office all violate the prohibition on political campaign intervention.
Factors in determining whether a communication results in political campaign intervention include the following:
- Whether the statement identifies one or more candidates for a given public office
- Whether the statement expresses approval or disapproval of one or more candidates' positions and/or actions
- Whether the statement is delivered close in time to the election
- Whether the statement makes reference to voting or an election
- Whether the issue addressed distinguishes candidates for a given office
Many religious organizations believe, as we do, that the above constitutes a violation of the First Amendment of the US Constitution.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
That said, we make the following absolutely clear here:
- The Real Liberal Christian Church and Christian Commons Project not only do not endorse any candidate for any secular office, we say that Christianity forbids voting in such elections.
- Furthermore, when we discuss any public-office holder's position, policy, action or inaction, we definitely are not encouraging anyone to vote for that office holder's position.
- We are not trying to influence secular elections but rather want people to come out from that entire fallen system.
- When we analyze or discuss what is termed "public policy," we do it entirely from a theological standpoint with an eye to educating professing Christians and those to whom we are openly always proselytizing to convert to authentic Christianity.
- It is impossible for us to fully evangelize and proselytize without directly discussing the pros and cons of public policy and the positions of secular-office holders, hence the unconstitutionality of the IRS code on the matter.
- We are not rich and wouldn't be looking for a fight regardless. What we cannot do is compromise our faith (which seeks to harm nobody, quite the contrary).
- We render unto Caesar what is Caesar's. We render unto God what is God's.
- When Caesar says to us that unless we shut up about the unrighteousness of Caesar's policies and practices, we will lose the ability of people who donate to us to declare their donations as deductions on their federal and state income-tax returns, we say to Caesar that we cannot shut up while exercising our religion in a very reasonable way.
- We consider the IRS code on this matter as deliberate economic duress (a form of coercion) and a direct attempt by the federal government to censor dissenting, free political and religious speech.
- It's not freedom of religion if they tax it.
And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute? He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers? Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free. (Matthew 17:24-26)