WIKILEAKS SERIES Information
Julian Assange was interviewed on Al Jazeera's "Without Borders" today; but unfortunately for non-Arabic speakers, the interview questions were in Arabic and there was a strong Arabic voice-over translation of Julian's answers.
I didn't find a complete transcript, but I did manage to find excerpts.
As readers of my most recent posts are aware, there have been many allegations leveled against Julian Assange that he took bribes from Israel to suppress cables that might damage Israel's diplomacy or security. Many bloggers and others have run with that and other stories and rumors and turned it all into that Julian Assange is a willing CIA/Mossad asset or perhaps a Manchurian Candidate raised in a strange cult in Australia with possible Nazi connections. There actually was a cult that Julian and his mother says they avoided being sucked into.
Well, due to the absence of many cables dealing with Israel in the first batch of releases, speculations began and quickly turned into full-blown conspiracy not theories but hard conclusions, flimsy at best but portrayed as, as hard as a rock.
So, what have we now heard from Assange by way of this latest interview?
"There are 3,700 files related to Israel and the source of 2,700 files is Israel. The Guardian, El-Pais, and Le Monde have published only two percent of the files related to Israel due to the sensitive relations between Germany, France, and Israel. Even New York Times could not publish more due to the sensitivities related to the Jewish community in the US."
"In the next six months we intend to publish more files depending on our sources."
"No, no contacts with Israel, but I am sure Mossad is following our activities closely like Australia, Sweden, and the CIA."
Q: An Arabic newspaper conducted an interview with one of your former colleagues who said you have a deal with Israel not to publish these secret files.
This is not true. We have been accused as agents of Iran [meant Israel, or this was a bad translation] and CIA by this former colleague [Daniel Domscheit-Berg has issued a statement denying he is the source of the story/rumors] who was working for Germany in the past and was dismissed from his job after we published American military documents related to Germany.
We were the biggest institution receiving official funding from the US but after we released a video tape about killing people in cold blood in Iraq in 2007, the funding stopped and we had to depend on individuals for finance.
Q: When will you publish the files related to Israel on your website?
Julian Assange: We will publish 3700 files and the source is the American embassy in Tel Aviv. Prime Minister Netanyahu was traveling to Paris to talk to the US ambassador there. You will see more information about that in six months.
Q: Do these Israeli files speak about the July 2006 Israeli war against Lebanon?
Julian Assange: Yes there is some information about that and these files were classified as top secret.
Q: Is there any relation with these files and the assassination of Hamas military leader Al Mabhuoh in Dubai?
Julian Assange: Yes there are some indications to this and may be some special reports published by newspapers. Mossad agents used Australian, British and European passports to travel to Dubai and there are diplomatic files about that.
Q: Are there any security service companies providing information to international airports and monitoring passengers even in the Arab countries?
Julian Assange: There are some files about American and Israeli security companies that tried to intervene in certain areas. For example, in Brazil, the American embassy put some Israeli security companies during the Olympic Games.
Q: Are there any files about agencies providing intelligence information about famous personalities in the Arab world?
Julian Assange: I am not sure about that but there are files about Hezbollah in Lebanon. In one of these files Lebanon government complained against cables passing near the French embassy. Americans are always very much worried about the telecommunications network.
Q: Are there any files about Israeli agents in the Arab world, including some Arab royal palaces?
Most of the files related to Mossad are classified as top secret but there may be some files related to the role of Mossad in killing a Lebanese military leader in Damascus by sniper bullets.
There 2,500 files related to Mossad and I have read only 1,000. So I don't know about everything, I need more journalists including Arabs to read and analyze and put everything in the context for the benefit of the readers.
We have 17,000 files where the word Qatar has been mentioned, the source of 3,000 of these files is the American embassy in Doha.
Q: What is the most interesting file about Qatar that was not published?
Julian Assange: There is a lot to be read. The name of Waddah Khanfar has been mentioned in 504 files. Some of these files have been published by The Guardian.
Q: How do the Americans view Al Jazeera in these files?
There were some meetings between people from Al Jazeera and the US embassy where the latter suggested coverage of certain things in a certain way.
There are files about a TV channel in Dubai, which the Americans said can be used against Al Jazeera and when this channel tried to move in the American direction, people stopped watching it.
The Americans despite having a base here were angry about the presence of an Iranian bank in Qatar, but Qatar said it would not close it but would not open new banks.
Despite that this bank established many more branches in Doha. Qatar is trying to create a balance between the Arab world and America.
The Americans appreciate having their largest base in Doha, but Qatar does not agree with all American requirements and Al Jazeera is a good example for that.
The following should appear at the end of every post:
According to the IRS, "Know the law: Avoid political campaign intervention":
Tax-exempt section 501(c)(3) organizations like churches, universities, and hospitals must follow the law regarding political campaigns. Unfortunately, some don't know the law.
Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3) organizations are prohibited from participating in any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. The prohibition applies to campaigns at the federal, state and local level.
Violation of this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes. Section 501(c)(3) private foundations are subject to additional restrictions.
Political Campaign Intervention
Political campaign intervention includes any activities that favor or oppose one or more candidates for public office. The prohibition extends beyond candidate endorsements.
Contributions to political campaign funds, public statements of support or opposition (verbal or written) made by or on behalf of an organization, and the distribution of materials prepared by others that support or oppose any candidate for public office all violate the prohibition on political campaign intervention.
Factors in determining whether a communication results in political campaign intervention include the following:
- Whether the statement identifies one or more candidates for a given public office
- Whether the statement expresses approval or disapproval of one or more candidates' positions and/or actions
- Whether the statement is delivered close in time to the election
- Whether the statement makes reference to voting or an election
- Whether the issue addressed distinguishes candidates for a given office
Many religious organizations believe, as we do, that the above constitutes a violation of the First Amendment of the US Constitution.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
That said, we make the following absolutely clear here:
- The Real Liberal Christian Church and Christian Commons Project not only do not endorse any candidate for any secular office, we say that Christianity forbids voting in such elections.
- Furthermore, when we discuss any public-office holder's position, policy, action or inaction, we definitely are not encouraging anyone to vote for that office holder's position.
- We are not trying to influence secular elections but rather want people to come out from that entire fallen system.
- When we analyze or discuss what is termed "public policy," we do it entirely from a theological standpoint with an eye to educating professing Christians and those to whom we are openly always proselytizing to convert to authentic Christianity.
- It is impossible for us to fully evangelize and proselytize without directly discussing the pros and cons of public policy and the positions of secular-office holders, hence the unconstitutionality of the IRS code on the matter.
- We are not rich and wouldn't be looking for a fight regardless. What we cannot do is compromise our faith (which seeks to harm nobody, quite the contrary).
- We render unto Caesar what is Caesar's. We render unto God what is God's.
- When Caesar says to us that unless we shut up about the unrighteousness of Caesar's policies and practices, we will lose the ability of people who donate to us to declare their donations as deductions on their federal and state income-tax returns, we say to Caesar that we cannot shut up while exercising our religion in a very reasonable way.
- We consider the IRS code on this matter as deliberate economic duress (a form of coercion) and a direct attempt by the federal government to censor dissenting, free political and religious speech.
- It's not freedom of religion if they tax it.
And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute? He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers? Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free. (Matthew 17:24-26)