There is a strong correlation, moreover, between red states, right-to-work laws, an overall worse quality of life for the average worker or poor person, and a more hostile climate for progressives, from environmentalists to civil rights activists. The average worker in a right-to-work state earns $5,333 less than his or her counterpart in a pro-worker state. Twenty-one percent more people lack health insurance. Late last year, immigration advocates anticipated Arizona-like measures in twenty-two states, eleven of which are controlled by Republicans.
The entire house of labor and all progressives must understand that we have not had a moment as threatening as this in our lifetime. The right is making the connections—attacking public employee unions and public services at the same time in order to wage complete war on the poor, people of color, and the working and middle classes of this country. Sadly, the left has not made the connections. To the extent that public sector unions, private sector unions and those fighting budget cuts allow themselves to be divided, they are playing into the right's hands.
The reactionaries change the subject from banksterism to unionism. They twist the data. They seek to divide people away from the core issue of the greed of the greediest.
The history of the US has been manipulated to remove from the public mind the truth of the permanent economic-class warfare from the start.
The only way through all of this is constantly to focus and re-focus on root-causes and solutions.
In addition, it is important to remember that there will be a backlash to laissez-fair capitalism when it completely fails to deliver a higher quality of life to the vast majority of Americans but only serves to continue the evil pattern of the rich getting richer while the uninformed masses, who rely upon the bought-and-paid-for minion/talking heads of the Plutocrats and Kleptocrats and Corporatists, are oppressed and fed a complete pack of lies about what's really going on and has been throughout civilization (so-called) since the moment it sprang up.
As for the root-cause, it's selfishness over the holy spirit of giving and sharing. It's competition over the holy spirit of cooperation. It's hoarding. It's acquisitiveness. It's dog-eat-dog when humans are not to take their cues from dogs. We are not dogs. Dogs don't have human cerebral cortexes. They don't have a human frontal lobe or human temporal lobes. They have dog brains, not human.
A damaged brain in terms of the functioning of human frontal and temporal lobes is a brain that is more, not less, selfish. This is a scientific fact. The frontal lobe is the highest, most human region of the brain. The less it is used, the lower the human in the evolutionary sense. A less functioning frontal lobe, such as in the case of Rush Limbaugh, is an indication of abuse/trauma. Have compassion on him for not truly knowing what he's doing. He lack self-control hence his excess in so many areas.
To suddenly move the whole of humanity to a state of revelation concerning these matters would require an act of God. I care on a certain level that there are those who don't believe in God; but on other levels, I don't care. I won't belabor it here though. I've addressed all of this before on this blog.
It is necessary on a human pragmatic level to understand the while we should aim as high as possible at all times, people are understood to move in steps. While the goal is the best, everyone doesn't see the best. Therefore, we must offer improvements. They do not have to be exceedingly gradual. They can be sweeping (aiming very high).
Some such steps ought to include the following:
- Rapidly creating state and local banks based upon the Bank of North Dakota model. Ellen Brown as done a yeowoman's job growing public awareness of this perfectly serviceable alternative to bankrupt states
- Nationalizing the Federal Reserve
- Issuing tax-and-interest-free United States Notes directly into the economy to pay for all governmental goods, services, and infrastructure needs
- Paying off the National Debt with those United States Notes
- Pegging the supply of those United States Notes to 1) actual across-the-board cost of living and 2) velocity of circulation of money
- Fully employing via public employment all unemployed people who are able to work
- Training all publicly employed and unemployed people in high-skills work
- Offering fully tax-subsidized education to everyone able to do the academic work and through the highest degree offerings (the doctorate level)
- Increasing (any remaining) taxes the rich while reducing taxes on the lower economic classes and at least eliminating taxes altogether on those in poverty
- Moving to clean, alternative (non-oil, gas, coal, nuclear), sustainable, public energy as rapidly as possible with everyone being given a basic amount at no charge
- De-privatizing roads and other infrastructure
- Re-regulating all banks (re-establishing Glass-Steagall)
- Fully regulating all investment houses and hedge funds
- Requiring all chemicals to be tested for harm and to be removed from the market if harmful and unable to be contained
- Preventing the introduction in the open environment of all harmful materials such as so many of Monsanto's products for instance
- Cleaning the environment
- Reforesting and establishing new forests but not as mere crops or as single-species forests