Outrageous distortion and hypocrisy:I am an American citizen who totally denounces the statements of these US Senators. They do not speak for me at all.
They are engaging in ancient ethnic and religious bigotry against the Russian people, the Russian nation.
These Senators have also completely ignored the US invasions and occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq, especially Iraq. They have completely ignored the numerous peoples of the world who have via referenda, split from other peoples. The US has supported a number of those. There is no difference whatsoever in the case of Crimea.
The people of Crimea have voted in a free and fair referendum to join themselves to the Russian nation-state. It is their choice to do so if any people have any such right concerning any other people or nation-state. It is utter hypocrisy for the US or any other nation to stand against the choice of those people in Crimea.
Furthermore, Russia did not invade Ukraine or Crimea. They have had an agreement with Ukraine to have their fleet stationed there and to have as many as 25,000 troops there.
Vladimir Putin has done absolutely nothing that would not be done by Barack Obama were the shoe on the other foot. In fact, he's done less, much less.
The US has been acting toward the Russians as if the Cold War is still on and has been all along. At the same time, Russia has nearly bent over backwards trying to be what the US claimed it always wanted Russia to be.
Mr. Putin has been criticized for having clamped down on various enterprises and the media in Russia, but those moves by President Putin came as a direct reaction to US duplicity.
I do not agree with "My country, right or wrong." I agree with my country, right and only right. If my country is against Russia for accepting Crimea into Russia, then I stand opposed to my country on that and with the people of Crimea and Russia.
This is not a blanket endorsement of all things Putin. I don't know all his secrets. He appears to have grown in office, which is something I've always appreciated in any politician. I hope he is as sincere as he wants us to believe he is.
I certainly do not trust Barack Obama or John McCain more than I trust Vladimir Putin. I think only fools would.
The following should appear at the end of every post:
According to the IRS, "Know the law: Avoid political campaign intervention":
Tax-exempt section 501(c)(3) organizations like churches, universities, and hospitals must follow the law regarding political campaigns. Unfortunately, some don't know the law.
Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3) organizations are prohibited from participating in any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. The prohibition applies to campaigns at the federal, state and local level.
Violation of this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes. Section 501(c)(3) private foundations are subject to additional restrictions.
Political Campaign Intervention
Political campaign intervention includes any activities that favor or oppose one or more candidates for public office. The prohibition extends beyond candidate endorsements.
Contributions to political campaign funds, public statements of support or opposition (verbal or written) made by or on behalf of an organization, and the distribution of materials prepared by others that support or oppose any candidate for public office all violate the prohibition on political campaign intervention.
Factors in determining whether a communication results in political campaign intervention include the following:
- Whether the statement identifies one or more candidates for a given public office
- Whether the statement expresses approval or disapproval of one or more candidates' positions and/or actions
- Whether the statement is delivered close in time to the election
- Whether the statement makes reference to voting or an election
- Whether the issue addressed distinguishes candidates for a given office
Many religious organizations believe, as we do, that the above constitutes a violation of the First Amendment of the US Constitution.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
That said, we make the following absolutely clear here:
- The Real Liberal Christian Church and Christian Commons Project not only do not endorse any candidate for any secular office, we say that Christianity forbids voting in such elections.
- Furthermore, when we discuss any public-office holder's position, policy, action or inaction, we definitely are not encouraging anyone to vote for that office holder's position.
- We are not trying to influence secular elections but rather want people to come out from that entire fallen system.
- When we analyze or discuss what is termed "public policy," we do it entirely from a theological standpoint with an eye to educating professing Christians and those to whom we are openly always proselytizing to convert to authentic Christianity.
- It is impossible for us to fully evangelize and proselytize without directly discussing the pros and cons of public policy and the positions of secular-office holders, hence the unconstitutionality of the IRS code on the matter.
- We are not rich and wouldn't be looking for a fight regardless. What we cannot do is compromise our faith (which seeks to harm nobody, quite the contrary).
- We render unto Caesar what is Caesar's. We render unto God what is God's.
- When Caesar says to us that unless we shut up about the unrighteousness of Caesar's policies and practices, we will lose the ability of people who donate to us to declare their donations as deductions on their federal and state income-tax returns, we say to Caesar that we cannot shut up while exercising our religion in a very reasonable way.
- We consider the IRS code on this matter as deliberate economic duress (a form of coercion) and a direct attempt by the federal government to censor dissenting, free political and religious speech.
- It's not freedom of religion if they tax it.
And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute? He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers? Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free. (Matthew 17:24-26)