UPDATE: On June 2, 2009 on Fox News, Drake said of Barack Obama now, "If he does not turn to God and does not turn his life around, I am asking God to enforce imprecatory prayers that are throughout the Scripture that would cause him death, that's correct."
This is not Christian. This Drake is saying that we have to follow the Old Testament and that the psalmist(s) (assumed David) and others wrote about praying to God for wrathful intersession.
That's what Jesus came to end! Jesus said that calling down the wrath is of the other spirit, not his!
This shows were Southern Baptist literalists cause so much confusion and trouble in the world. It's why they allow for war when Jesus did not.
This is all coming out so we may write against it in clear and plain terms.
This twisted, half-truth version of Jesus's teachings must end. Jesus never prayed a curse, which is what an imprecatory prayer is (euphemism). Jesus never taught anyone to pray a curse. He taught the exact opposite.
Drake is praying to Satan as a son of Satan. He doesn't know how to sort out the righteous spirit from the fallen. He's leading people woefully astray. Don't follow him!
Original Post follows:
George Tiller was the medical director of the Women's Health Care Services clinic who preformed partial-birth abortions until he was murdered in his Wichita, Kansas church (Reformation Lutheran Church) on May 31, 2009. Wiley Drake is the former second vice president (2006-2007) of the Southern Baptist Convention and current pastor of First Southern Baptist Church in Buena Park, California. He said on his Crusade Radio show on June 1, 2009, that he had been using "imprecatory prayer" against George Tiller. Now, I'm not going to post a long post about this issue, as both sides are totally wrong. I am going to go on record here as saying that without doubt "imprecatory prayer" is cursing. It is the direct opposite of blessing and is never right in Christianity.
One might plead with God to turn them or separate us from them, but to call down the wrath is always wrong. God alone knows when anyone is beyond redemption. To call down wrath is evil and why there are wars between and among us.
The sanctity of human life is not a mundane thing. It is beyond mundane, secular, human comprehension. Tiller was engaged in something that would never be seen by anyone as necessary or desirable were all to be seeking righteousness – all would be healed. Nevertheless, for one human being to believe that he is being moved by the Holy Spirit of truth to murder or kill another human being whether or not the so-called magistrates (worldly all and not ordained by God but rather Satan) say to take life, it remains antichrist.
The following should appear at the end of every post:
According to the IRS, "Know the law: Avoid political campaign intervention":
Tax-exempt section 501(c)(3) organizations like churches, universities, and hospitals must follow the law regarding political campaigns. Unfortunately, some don't know the law.
Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3) organizations are prohibited from participating in any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. The prohibition applies to campaigns at the federal, state and local level.
Violation of this prohibition may result in denial or revocation of tax-exempt status and the imposition of certain excise taxes. Section 501(c)(3) private foundations are subject to additional restrictions.
Political Campaign Intervention
Political campaign intervention includes any activities that favor or oppose one or more candidates for public office. The prohibition extends beyond candidate endorsements.
Contributions to political campaign funds, public statements of support or opposition (verbal or written) made by or on behalf of an organization, and the distribution of materials prepared by others that support or oppose any candidate for public office all violate the prohibition on political campaign intervention.
Factors in determining whether a communication results in political campaign intervention include the following:
- Whether the statement identifies one or more candidates for a given public office
- Whether the statement expresses approval or disapproval of one or more candidates' positions and/or actions
- Whether the statement is delivered close in time to the election
- Whether the statement makes reference to voting or an election
- Whether the issue addressed distinguishes candidates for a given office
Many religious organizations believe, as we do, that the above constitutes a violation of the First Amendment of the US Constitution.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
That said, we make the following absolutely clear here:
- The Real Liberal Christian Church and Christian Commons Project not only do not endorse any candidate for any secular office, we say that Christianity forbids voting in such elections.
- Furthermore, when we discuss any public-office holder's position, policy, action or inaction, we definitely are not encouraging anyone to vote for that office holder's position.
- We are not trying to influence secular elections but rather want people to come out from that entire fallen system.
- When we analyze or discuss what is termed "public policy," we do it entirely from a theological standpoint with an eye to educating professing Christians and those to whom we are openly always proselytizing to convert to authentic Christianity.
- It is impossible for us to fully evangelize and proselytize without directly discussing the pros and cons of public policy and the positions of secular-office holders, hence the unconstitutionality of the IRS code on the matter.
- We are not rich and wouldn't be looking for a fight regardless. What we cannot do is compromise our faith (which seeks to harm nobody, quite the contrary).
- We render unto Caesar what is Caesar's. We render unto God what is God's.
- When Caesar says to us that unless we shut up about the unrighteousness of Caesar's policies and practices, we will lose the ability of people who donate to us to declare their donations as deductions on their federal and state income-tax returns, we say to Caesar that we cannot shut up while exercising our religion in a very reasonable way.
- We consider the IRS code on this matter as deliberate economic duress (a form of coercion) and a direct attempt by the federal government to censor dissenting, free political and religious speech.
- It's not freedom of religion if they tax it.
And when they were come to Capernaum, they that received tribute money came to Peter, and said, Doth not your master pay tribute? He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers? Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free. (Matthew 17:24-26)